Deadline: 11:59 PM on Friday, March 2, 2018
Aki Kurose was an educator, peace activist and community organizer, and mother of five. Aki Kurose loved children and thrived as a teacher. Kurose’s effectiveness lay in her ability to engage all students regardless of their backgrounds. Each day, class started with exercises outside. There, students sent their angry, frustrated, or sad feelings into the atmosphere to clear the way for learning. She often told people,
“Without peace, real learning cannot take place. Real interaction with others … meaningful interaction, cannot take place.”
Aki Kurose embodied the principles of the JACL vision. After her death, the Seattle JACL established a scholarship in her name to enable students to continue their higher education, which would enable them to give back to the community with the commitment shared by Aki Kurose and the Seattle JACL. The Aki Kurose Memorial Scholarship is a $2000 scholarship and will be presented at the luncheon.
- Applicant must be graduating from the Seattle Public Schools.
- Applicant must intend to enroll in a publicly funded school in Washington state, such as a community college, public technical school, or Washington state university.
- Applicant must have a minimum 2.0 GPA.
- Application and supporting documents must be uploaded by 11:59 PM on Friday, March 2, 2018
- Notification of interview status – Week of March 19, 2018
- Face to face interview (required) – Saturday, March 31, 2018
- Successful candidate must attend the scholarship luncheon – Saturday, April 21, 2018
- How does the applicant plan to give back to the community?
- How does the applicant demonstrate experience and/or commitment to one or more of the following areas: Leadership, Community Service, Peace, Education or Teaching, Multiculturalism, and/or Science?
- Applicant Financial Need
- An essay (detailed at the end of the application)
- Two letters of recommendation: one from a non-related teacher, counselor, school administrator, or employer and one from a community leader
- A copy of your official high school transcript
- A list of your extracurricular, work, and community activities
If you have questions about the application process, contact email@example.com.
The application process for 2018 is closed. Thank you for your interest in Seattle JACL Scholarships!