Deadline: 11:59 PM Friday, March 3, 2023
Cherry and Mas Kinoshita were very active in the area of civil rights/civil liberties. Their contribution and leadership towards the redress for Japanese Americans incarceration during World War II was immense. Cherry Kinoshita received the prestigious Washington State Jefferson Award for her work on Japanese American Redress.
The Cherry and Mas Kinoshita Scholarship will be given to applicants who are of Japanese ancestry, or individual members of the Seattle JACL, or active in the Seattle JACL community, and who plan to pursue or is pursuing studies and/or a career in political science, law, education, journalism, Asian American Studies, or other field leading to service to the community. The Mas and Cherry Kinoshita Scholarship is a $3,000 scholarship and will be presented at our Chapter’s Scholarship luncheon.
- Applicant must be accepted and enrolled in an accredited college or university in an undergraduate or graduate program for the fall of 2023.
- Applicant must be of Japanese ancestry, or an individual member of the Seattle JACL, or actively involved with the Japanese American community.
- Applicant must be planning to pursue or is pursuing studies in a field that would lead to service to the community.
- Consideration will be given to applicants from Western Washington.
- Application and supporting documents must be uploaded by 11:59 PM PST on Friday, March 3, 2023
- Notification of interview status – Week of March 27, 2023
- Online Zoom interview (required) – Saturday, April 22, 2023
- Scholarship award winners are invited to attend an in-person Awards Lunch – Saturday, May 6, 2023
- How will the applicant’s current or proposed studies lead to potential service to the community?
- How has the applicant demonstrated or will demonstrate involvement with the Japanese American Community?
- Official transcript(s)
- Work experience and/or extra-curricular activities summary. Please download and fill out this activities summary template.
- Two recommendation forms: at least one recommendation must be submitted by a non-related teacher, counselor, school administrator, and/or employer; one recommendation can be submitted by a community leader
The recommendation form can be downloaded here. Applicants are encouraged to download the form and send it to their recommenders.
Recommenders should submit the completed form on the Recommendation Form page: http://seattlejacl.org/letter-of-recommendation. Forms must be submitted by the application deadline.